My favorite salad right now has baby kale sprouts, baby lettuce (growing in a pot on my deck), , hearts of romaine, purple onion, celery, spinach, red grapes, avocado (optional), and feta cheese and walnuts. I like the onions and celery super thinly sliced and crisped in an ice bath while I’m preparing the rest of the salad and dressing. I suggest a good Feta cheese, the kind that comes in a block (with liquid), not the “crumbles.”
It gets pulled together in a most delicious way with this dressing:
The dressing is “Global House Salad” from Jadine Sayer (Epicurious.com).
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I use an Italian extra virgin cold pressed olive oil)
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp Sriracha sauce (Thai hot sauce)
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper & a smidge of kosher salt.
- Whisk all the ingredients tother.
Toast the walnuts in the oven at 400 for a minute or two, or stove top. Be sure to watch them so they don’t burn. Assemble salad, layering lettuce, grapes, celery, onions, avocado, walnuts and sprouts on top, add dressing to taste.